Spoiler Alert - YES! Ask dog parents anywhere in the world - “What is a guaranteed way to lift your spirits if you’ve had a bad day?”. The unanimous answer is - their dog and the affection he/she showers on them. Here’s 6 ways in which having a dog has an incredible impact on your life -
1. They are proven stress relief - Spending just 15-20 mins with your pup increases the levels of dopamine and serotonin in your brain - these are neurotransmitters (chemicals that send signals to your brain) that are connected with tranquility and pleasure. This means 15 mins of those furry paws and sticky licks give us instant calm and joy, reducing stress levels!
2. They keep you active - If you’re looking for a personal trainer - nobody is more motivated to go for a walk than a pet dog! Dogs need a minimum level of physical activity for their health - this takes care of any lack of motivation to step out and do your own work out. A study found, dog parents are about four times more likely than other people to meet today's physical activity guidelines, according to a large-scale new study of dogs and exercise.
3. Improve your heart health - Dog ownership has been associated with decreased cardiovascular risk. Recent reports have suggested an association of dog companionship with lower blood pressure levels, improved lipid profile, and diminished sympathetic responses to stress
4. You always have company - On days when you don’t feel up to going out with your friends or want some time to yourself, your dog will never let you feel lonely! They are the perfect company for a relaxing day in.
5. 24/7 fun - The number of dog videos and photos on the internet is proof that dog parents have a very entertaining life. Be it their silly mannerisms or funny sounds or the games you can play with them - boredom is out of the question if you have a dog.
6. Being a dog parent transforms you - Having a dog brings along the need for responsibility, discipline, commitment, patience and kindness. And these are personality traits that transforms us on the whole - making us stronger and better at heart
On the Petmate app, you can browse through dogs of different breeds, legally up for adoption! We condemn breeding and animal sales, and encourage our users to report profiles found indulging in these illegal activities on our app. We have a simple process -
1. Create your profile including name, age, location, etc,
2. Mention the breed of dog you are looking for and preferred age
3. Answer a few questions regarding your home and experience with pets so we can gauge if you are ready to bring a pet into your life
4. Your profile is now ready! You can now reach out to other profiles/organizations like shelters who have posted dogs up for adoption and chat with them to finalize details